Bedroom Shine-Ups

Hello, Everyone! Welcome back!

We’re excited to show you guys what has been going on at our house.

We were fortunate enough to have been able to hire workers to work on our old bedrooms.  Here are the before photos:

Office

It’s hard to tell from photos, but sheet-rock was cracked and had a very dated texturing.  We had previously stained and sealed the floors which (a) didn’t hold up and (b) didn’t match the natural color of the living room.  Also, the lighting was crappy and there was a lack of usable plugs (none on the exterior wall and one was halfway up a different wall).

Plus, zero character. Most important.

DSC_0933

DSC_0935

Front Bedroom:

Same idea, different room!

DSC_0937

DSC_0938

Office

The crew removed the sheetrock, added trim and awesome LED can lights.  They added/moved plugs and replaced the window trim.  Aaron and I refinished the floors.  Also, we moved our “cool” fan to the front bedroom.  This room is small and really has no need for a full-sized ceiling fan.

I have some ideas for a more “permanent” desk space for the office, but that will be a project for later.

We’ve left the walls natural (unsealed) for now until I’m 100% sure that I’m not going to paint or whitewash them, but so far I’m loving the natural wood tones.

DSC_0016

Front Bedroom

Same stuff, different room!

DSC_0010

DSC_0009

I’m keeping my eyes open for some really funky, cool art for above this bed!

DSC_0014

This really turned out how we had envisioned.  We’re loving the consistency with the rest of the house and the great lighting particularly.  We’ve eliminated a lot of furniture so every room feels bigger.

Thanks for hanging out with us as we mark things off of our big ol’ “to-do” list!  Loving having you along for the transformation!

Save

Save

Guest Bath Update

Hello Everyone!

It has been a while since we posted about updates on the house!

During our big renovation, we were able to finish out the majority of our guest bathroom, but had this dirty little secret behind the shower curtain:

IMG_0494

From afar, it doesn’t look that bad and we took amazing efforts to keep it clean and as mildew-free as possible for our Airbnb guests.

In April, we had guests (luckily all dudes).  One of the guys went to turn the center knob from the bath setting to the shower setting and it literally fell off into his hand.  Um… getting the wrench out to turn the knob so the guys could shower was not embarrassing at all! [sarcasm]

We quickly ran to the hardware store for a “universal knob”.  The “universal knob” didn’t work because an old, plastic component was so stripped that even the new knob wouldn’t stay attached.  I took photos and went to several different hardware stores and even one specialty plumbing store only to have them spell it out for me: S-O-L without a plumbing re-do.  No plumbing re-do without re-tiling.

SO… we mentioned it to our Airbnb guests for the next few months and made it work with only a shower setting.  We decided to get a quote from a friend at church who is a contractor and it was far less than we had anticipated. We also found a multi-color travertine at a good price, so we went for it!

DSC_0881

DSC_0879

DSC_0880

The soap niche is a little larger than we thought, but it is the framing from an original window (with an added shelf), so that’s pretty cool!

This was one of the only projects in which we were not “hands on”… which was weird.  Apparently we both struggle with watching others work!

We feel extremely fortunate to have been able to make this update and can’t wait to have guests now!  Come stay with us, friends… and use our shower!

Save