Kitchen to Utility: The Transformation Has Begun

You guys remember our little kitchen, correct?

Yesterday, our little kitchen began to take on a new form– a utility room.  With the addition nearing (we hope), we are re-plumbing the current home to fix the plumbing issues mentioned in this post, meet city codes, and have a “fresh start” for the addition.

B&A

We are adding a larger hot water heater and plan to have it in the utility room (i.e. in the corner you’re seeing in these photos).

We first moved the stove and removed the upper cabinets, so the room looked like this:

 photo DSC_0159_zps5eaff835.jpg

We planned to (1) remove the dummy panel, (2) cut the counter top to size, and (3) repair/paint the walls.  The plan was easy.

 photo Dummy_zps75cf302d.jpg

I crack myself up.  Moving on.

When we removed the panel, this is what we found:

 photo DSC_0166_zpsa411f0be.jpg

Lovely.  We knew the gas line was there (hence the gas water heater that is going in), but had no idea the dryer hose (and subsequent holes through the wall and floor) was there.

So, out went the old :
 photo DSC_0169_zpsfc369279.jpg
Notice the Moroccan tile-look vinyl floor, which is back in style so many years later.

When we removed the dryer hose, a big, breezy hole was left in our wall.  We used foam insulation to fill the hole.  We also reinforced the drywall (which was flapping in the breeze) with drywall screws and plopped in some nice, new plywood to level the floor.  The condition of the walls makes me want to be sick– especially thinking about how close it has been to my food for well over a year. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

 photo DSC_0177_zps301bba99.jpg
 photo DSC_0182_zpsb81b5129.jpg
We then made the decision to cover up the bad mouse droppings sheet-rock with nice, clean, bead-board paneling.  It was freezing outside, as we just had Icepocalypse Part II, so we moved the party inside.

[See my crock pot?  Love that thing.  We eat like kings when we’re projecting because dinner cooks itself.  Last night was rib night— ohmygosh.]
 photo DSC_0183_zps6a4f8584.jpg

We cut paneling for two partial walls and called it a night around 11:00. Mercy. Also, we used this awesome lipstick trick for cutting the paneling hole for the plug. Highly recommended time saver (and highly recommended blogger– one of my favorites!).
 photo DSC_0185_zps83a091e2.jpg
This morning, we laid the new linoleum floor tiles.  We chose TrafficMASTER Premium Copper Slate flooring from HD.  So far, we’re super diggin’ it, not to mention that this brand has fantastic reviews on-line.  It was extremely easy to install (score with utility knife and snap!) and looks quite a bit like slate for a very low cost and no grout cracking on our constantly shifting foundation! [I’m not getting paid to say any of this– I just like the product so far!]

We then, simply, used 1×6 boards as the baseboards and bought lattice board for the corners.  We caulked with plain white caulk.  We’re happy with how it all came out– especially to house a water heater!
 photo FloorFinished_zps7a5f6e8c.jpg

 photo CornerAfter_zpse65c634a.jpg

CornerB&A

We’re so glad to have a clean space to share with you guys!

The re-plumbing starts tomorrow!  We’ll catch you up to our progress later this week!  Hope you “Sprang Forward” last night and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2 thoughts on “Kitchen to Utility: The Transformation Has Begun

Comments are closed.