Guest Bath Update

Hello Everyone!

It has been a while since we posted about updates on the house!

During our big renovation, we were able to finish out the majority of our guest bathroom, but had this dirty little secret behind the shower curtain:

IMG_0494

From afar, it doesn’t look that bad and we took amazing efforts to keep it clean and as mildew-free as possible for our Airbnb guests.

In April, we had guests (luckily all dudes).  One of the guys went to turn the center knob from the bath setting to the shower setting and it literally fell off into his hand.  Um… getting the wrench out to turn the knob so the guys could shower was not embarrassing at all! [sarcasm]

We quickly ran to the hardware store for a “universal knob”.  The “universal knob” didn’t work because an old, plastic component was so stripped that even the new knob wouldn’t stay attached.  I took photos and went to several different hardware stores and even one specialty plumbing store only to have them spell it out for me: S-O-L without a plumbing re-do.  No plumbing re-do without re-tiling.

SO… we mentioned it to our Airbnb guests for the next few months and made it work with only a shower setting.  We decided to get a quote from a friend at church who is a contractor and it was far less than we had anticipated. We also found a multi-color travertine at a good price, so we went for it!

DSC_0881

DSC_0879

DSC_0880

The soap niche is a little larger than we thought, but it is the framing from an original window (with an added shelf), so that’s pretty cool!

This was one of the only projects in which we were not “hands on”… which was weird.  Apparently we both struggle with watching others work!

We feel extremely fortunate to have been able to make this update and can’t wait to have guests now!  Come stay with us, friends… and use our shower!

Save

Bertha: Decked & Trimmed Out

Hello Everyone!

We had a few days off of work with 0% chance of rain, so we made the best of it!

We’ve de-Dexterized, Bertha!  And, Aaron “decked” her out!

I’ll be touching up some areas soon (like, to the right of her eye!) and…
DSC_0868

where the tape pulled off my super sweet teal paint job!!!!!  %&”$*#(#()!!!!!  Always one step forward and two back with ol’ Bertha!

DSC_0869

We also had a non-working air conditioner which contained (a) a wasps nest (surprise!),

DSC_0846

(b) an ant bed complete with larvae, and

DSC_0851

(c) enormous potential for a window.

Aaron trimmed out the new back window and we had a small piece of glass cut.  It has made a huge difference on how the trailer feels on the inside.  Helllloooooo, sunshine!!

DSC_0864

DSC_0865

Once we saw a glimmer of light in Bertha’s dark soul, we couldn’t shut it out again.

We’ll be buying a new air conditioner and installing it inside the trailer so we can keep our cute little window.

Coming soon: Paint touch ups, an accent color (hint: it’s called Emotional), and another replacement window

Before you go, I’ll leave you with this image.  I’m the one on the left.

DancingHippos

[source]