I’m feeling a little under-the-weather today. This is good for two reasons only: (1) my critters have an all-day snuggle buddy and (2) I’m sitting down long enough to actually consider writing a blog post! Otherwise, I’m pretty useless.
After we last spoke, we continued to demolish a huge section of the “old house”. I found something really incredible- which I can’t wait to share with you at the end. I thought it would be really fun to pull up some old photos and try to match them with some “in-progress” photos so you could get a feel for what we are doing.
The first major thing that happened was the removal of the wall between the new addition and the old house. That was amazing.
If it looks like total chaos… well, it is.
Also, this is not the most current photo, but the old bathroom is gutted to the floors and bare shiplap walls. We did leave the shower completely intact for a later project, but the vanity fell apart while we were trying to move it. Oh well.
NOW, FOR MY FAVORITE PART OF THIS WHOLE GUTTING/BUILDING/UPCYCLED UGLY PROJECT:
If you’ve been following along, you know about our original ship-lap walls. You also know that our house is on the tax records as having been built in 1957. You may also know that Jeff & Tommy suspected it was much older due to the type of nails, wood, etc. as well as the presence of a wood shingle roof in the attic and all wood windows. WELL. We got some sort of confirmation.
I sanded the whole room down because it had about a million little strings from the old wallpaper tacked into the wall.
That, folks, says:
“This place caught on fire Mon. Feb. 9th 1925.”
There is the confirmation we’ve been looking for all along. I’m a sap for old houses- especially our 89+ year old house.